Hut Trip Gear List
Hut Trips: Recommended Gear List
Minimizing weight is a priority! Please limit what you bring to the absolute essentials. You will be expected to carry your own food, equipment and clothing, so please pack your packs accordingly. Your guide will be available to assist with packing the evening prior to the trip. Please do not wait until the evening before the trip to let us know about equipment needs.
CLOTHING -we highly recommend no cotton!
- Outer Shell: water-resistant/wind–resistant
- Insulating Jacket: down or synthetic
- Soft-shell jacket or breathable hiking jacket for touring.
- Base layers: no cotton! - Please consider wearing something like merino wool that can last for days without smelling and absorbing sweat. Especially on longer hut trips, one or two changes is all you need.Dress smart - simplicity is key!
- 2 pair ski socks
- 1 brimmed hat
- 1 warm ski hat
- Sunglasses & goggles
- Lightweight touring gloves
- Winter ski gloves or mittens (bring glove warmers if your hands get particularly cold)
- 1 neck gaiter/neck warmer
- Backpack (~50L): these packs can pack down nicely for day tours.
- 2 Nalgene - widemouth (PLEASENO Camelbacks; they freeze mid-winter. If you are doing a late Spring hut trip, you may consider a camelback. But also consider a Nalgene, as you fill these with boiling water).
- Light sleeping bag (rated 50 degrees F or lower) or a closed-end sleeping bag liner if using a rented bag.
- Pillow case (optional, but nice to have.)
- Small toiletries kit (limit this to the absolute essentials, include feminine hygiene products if needed).
- Sunscreen & lip balm
- Headlamp with fresh batteries
(rental equipment is available through our partners,Cripple Creek Backcountry)
- Ski poles (adjustable length are best)
- AT or Telemark touring skis with skins and heel lifts (ski crampons for Spring trips)
- Comfortable touring boots
PERSONAL FOOD (please let us know if you have dietary restrictions)
- Grazing food/trail snacks - candy, trail mix, energy bars, etc.
*You guide will carry a first aid kit, repair kit, & rescue equipment.
*Packs & sleeping bags are available to you through Aspen Expeditions.